The New Birmingham c. 1964
|St Martin's Circus Ringway
The site of the old Market Hall, designed by Charles Edge and opened in
1834, was surrounded by St Martin's Circus Ringway during the early
years of the 1960's. It continued to function while the new
markets were built but finally succumbed to the demolition squad at the
end of 1963. In its place, Manzoni Gardens was created, named
after Sir Herbert Manzoni who had finally retired from his role as City
Engineer and Surveyor in 1963 after 28 years in the role.
Intially an attractive garden area in the centre of the city, like the
nearby Bull Ring, it ended up down at heel and not a pleasant place to
sit unless you enjoyed the company of drunks! In 2014, it had
been replaced by the west mall of Bullring.
Remains of Market Hall yet to be
replaced, c. 1961. Photo by Leonard Stace.
Market Hall gone and work on Mazoni
Gardens underway, c. early
Picture from the Geoff
Mazoni Gardens shortly after opening, c. mid 1960s. Picture from
Former site of the rear of the Market Hall where Manzoni Gardens would
built, June 2014
Former site of Manzoni Gardens, Bullring west mall, June 2014