The £10m Rackham's store had opened in 1960. Incorporating
a new North Western Arcade to replace an earlier one dating from 1884,
it also saw the loss of the splendid Cobden Hotel. In 2014, the
store was branded House of Fraser and was one of the few department
stores that had remained in business.
construction site, as viewed from the roof of Lewis's, 1959. Photo by John
Ball, reproduced here with thanks.
House of Fraser store, Corporation
North Western Arcade section,
Corporation Street/Bull Street junction, June 2014