Great Western Arcade, originally opened in 1876, was damaged by wartime
bombing raids. This led to a need to replace both the roof and
the Colmore Row entrance to the arcade. This work was completed
in 1961. The entrance was re-worked again in 1988 and was far
removed from the ornate, original Temple Row entrance, seen below.This re-worked entrance
remained in 2014.
The rather functional Colmore Row
entrance of the Great Western Arcade, c.
Picture from the Geoff
the Colmore Row entrance would have looked like the entrance in Temple
Row(pictured July 2008) but was
actually double its height!
Colmore Row entrance to the Great Western Arcade, June 2014